Recipe: DIY Acai Greek Yogurt Bowl

10:14 PM

DIY Acai Bowl

Ever since my friend Venus sent me a picture of an acai bowl from Hawaii, I knew that I had to get my hands on one to try it. I had my first acai bowl at Blue Hawaii Acai Cafe in San Francisco, and have been addicted since! Unfortunately, acai bowls are rather pricey and not a very cheap craving to have unless you live in Hawaii. I sought the help of Google to see how I could make my own acai bowls at home.

Luckily, it seemed relatively easy and not at all hard to make. In fact, it seemed so easy that I questioned why I didn't attempt this earlier!


There are several methods you can try to make your own acai bowls: 1) using frozen smoothie acai smoothie packs (found in the freezer section at stores such as Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, though when I went to my local TJ's the employee claimed that they didn't sell such things there. I also went to Safeway to see if they had any, and nada.), or 2) with acai juice. You can also make it with acai powder, but I did not find any at TJ's.

I opted for the second option,since Trader Joe's sells a "powerberry" juice similar to acai juice. It's a blend of multiple fruit juices, including apple puree and acai puree. Not quite pure acai juice, but close enough for tasting purposes.



This recipe requires some sort of blender that can mix a lot of things smoothly. I used my Magic Bullet and it worked like a charm.





In order to get the same thick consistency as an acai bowl you would get at a store, you want to use a lot of frozen fruits. In this particular recipe, I did not have a lot of frozen fruits on hand so the consistency is less viscous as it otherwise would have been. (I'll be doing another post in the future with more frozen fruits). So a helpful tip is to use more frozen fruits when you are following this recipe.

I more or less eyeballed the amount of juice to use in the recipe. The juice is not cheap - $4.49 for a half a liter! - so you want to preserve the juice for multiple servings.

I used approximately 1/4 of the container


Then you want to add some ice. I used about 1 cup and a half, but you will want to add more. You can always add more ice as you blend your smoothie.


Add your frozen banana(s), ice, and Powerberry juice into your blender. 


I also chose to add some Greek yogurt to make the acai bowl more filling. This is optional, and you can skip adding any yogurt entirely.

You can use whatever flavor you please, but I chose Strawberry
And I also added a teaspoon of chia seeds, because who doesn't love chia seeds?







Then...blend! And admire the beautiful color you have created.





My smoothie came out on the thinner side because I did not add enough frozen fruits. If your smoothie is thin, add more frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, and other fruits! You can also throw in some more ice as well. 

Top with bananas, fruit, granola, or whatever you fancy!



And dig in!



I hope you enjoyed this post on how to make your own acai bowl at home. It's extremely easy to make and very good for you. It's also very filling if you choose to add Greek yogurt. Remember that you can make your own adaptions to this recipe to suit your own preference. 

And of course, there will be another acai bowl recipe to come in the future with the frozen smoothie packs!


I would love to hear if you enjoyed your version of an acai bowl in the comments below.

-Mina
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe