Review: TJ's Pizza Edition

8:58 PM




My top favorite food of all time might actually be pizza. Honestly, what is a better food than pizza? Be it for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, post-drinking food, or a bed-time snack. There's just something about melted cheese on crispy bread that sings to everyone's heart.

I owed it to my unconditional love for pizza to try some of Trader Joe's offerings. Without further ado, here are some of the pizzas I tackled with TJ's freezer section and my conventional oven. (Note: do keep in mind that you are obviously not going to get the same fresh out of the oven, greasy, slice that you might get at a pizza joint.)





Ancient Grain Pizza with Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes
While I do enjoy stuffing myself with desserts and other similarly fatty foods, I am health-conscious and watch what I eat 90% of the time. I was excited to try a whole-grain pizza crust. I know that anything other than a flour-crust turns off most people, but I actually like whole-grain/whole-wheat pizza more. The crust for this Ancient Grain pizza is chewy in texture, but crispy on the outside. 

This item from TJ's tastes like something on the healthier side, which is definitely not a bad thing for myself. It fulfills your cravings for pizza without leaving you with a sense of self-loathing. I can dig it! If you enjoy oily-tasting pizzas, then this product is not for you.

You can find TJ's Ancient Grain Pizza in TJ's freezer section for only $4.49. It can serve up to two people, or three if you don't have a big appetite.

Pizza Al Pollo Asado



This one is different from your standard pizza. It has a corn masa crust topped with grilled chicken brisket, refried beans, jack cheese and tomatillo salsa. As a result, it tasted less like a pizza and more like something you might find in a Mexican restaurant, due to the corn masa crust and refried beans.

I myself enjoyed this pizza, especially because it did not taste like something I purchased from a grocery store's freezer and then reheated. Cooking this pizza with an oven (don't microwave, people! With any of these pizzas! It just makes them a soggy mess. Bleh.) really made the crust crispy while retaining the flavors of the chicken and cheese.




I believe TJ touts this as a personal pizza, but it would be extremely heavy to me if I ate it all by myself. I shared it with two other people, and was still fairly full. This is by no means a light pizza, and is fairly carb-heavy and hearty. (I am sure the fellas can scarf it down with no issues, though!)

Try this pizza at your own risk: if you like refried meals, you'll likely enjoy checking this one out. I thought it was pretty good. I forgot the exact price, but it was between $2-$3.


Reduced Guilt Pizza Primanera




I admit, I was attracted to the "reduced guilt" feature on this particular pizza. This pizza is topped with yellow squash, zucchini, egg plant, and bell peppers - all for 250 calories! With only 7 grams of fat per serving! The pizza is very small, so it is definitely a meal for only one person, or a snack for two.

The pizza looks more appetizing than it tastes, I swear!
But I do taste the fact that it is only 250 calories. It tastes healthy - maybe overly so if my tastebuds were really clamoring for that pizza taste. The pizza sauce and cheese is light as you can gleam from the above picture. The topping to dough ratio is on the heavier side, with a good dose of eggplant, so that was nice.

I thought that this pizza was okay but nothing exceptional. Because let's face it - if you were making an effort to eat healthy, you wouldn't eat pizza anyway. ;) The pizza was around $2, which is a good price for what you get. Maybe try it for yourself to see if you are a fan.

Have you tried any of TJ's pizzas? Let me know what your favorite is in the comments if so!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe