Review: Mina Loves [Drugstore] Makeup

9:07 PM


I enjoy trying new makeup products, especially drug store brands. I believe that high end makeup doesn't always deliver the best results, except for eye shadow -- I refuse to deviate from Urban Decay eye shadows because they are high quality, very well pigmented, and affordable. As for mascaras, blushes, even lipsticks - I like to experiment to see if there are good products out there at a low price point. Without further ado, here are some of my recent purchases.


1. L'oreal Telescopic Mascara
Despite many customers' proclamations of this being their holy grail mascara, i was not too impressed. For one, it is pricey for a drugstore brand ($9 from Walmart), and clumps easily for me. It is ok for what it promises to do, which is  lengthening. I have better experience with other mascaras. I have, however, been using this in combination with a voluminous mascara and and it does make my eyelashes appear more dramatic when I want an extra oomph.

Image 


Standing winner: Maybelline Falsies Mascara. 
This is my own personal holy grail. It's affordable ($5-$6 at your local drug store), thickens, and doesn't clump! I find that it worked better for me than my Diorshow mascara that costed me $25.

Image 


2. Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
This is supposedly a dupe for the famous Nars Orgasm blush (which i don't really like either, despite all its praise). I did like this blush because it is a universally flattering coral color that goes on sheer for that "naturally-flushed" look. I would buy again. 

Image



Standing winner: I like NYX's powder blushes (they are pigmented and affordable), but I do like this blush as a daily go-to for the workplace.

  Image 




 3. Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner




I really like Urban Decay's 24/7 pencil eyeliners. They glide on very smooth, are extremely pigmented, and do not smudge at all. I read reviews stating Revlon's eyeliners are a dupe for them. It took me many months to finally find this at Walmart because it was always sold out! (And naturally, that made me want it more.)

Image


In any case, these does work well because the Revlon eyeliner does not smudge on my eyelids, even after wearing them all day! Worth the purchase at $6-$7, especially if the $20 eyeliners are too pricey to be buying regularly. One caveat i would like to point out is that this pencil breaks off if you push too heavily during application (maybe because it's a roll up and the lead is weaker?).



Standing winner: Urban Decay for the quality, but at under $7, Revlon is a reliable alternative to save some money.

4. Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner


Image

I love, love, love this! This might be considered pricey as a drugstore brand (about $11), since MAC's eyeliner cost only about $16-$18. You are only saving $5-$6 dollars, but I personally like this even MORE than MAC's. The MAC eyeliner tends to smudge for me. It is not very flattering to have a dark crease on your eyelid! I'm sure we are all familiar with that. I definitely recommend this!

Standing winner: Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner


5. NYX lipsticks
I went a bit crazy some months back and bought a boatload of these lipsticks. Lipsticks on me do not last long since i tend to drink or eat a lot. I find myself constantly reapplying. NYX lippies are super cheap and perfect for experimenting with different colors, since no one ever wants to try the testers (can I say hotbed for bacteria?) in stores. (Roughly under $5 each). They are well pigmented and I do like them a lot! Yes, I find MAC lipsticks creamier and more moisturizing, though at a higher price point ($15). NYX lippies are a good cheap substitution. I apply Vaseline or chapstick prior to applying my lipsticks which does the trick for me.

Image

 

Standing winner: Both! NYX for the price, and MAC for the quality.


Are there any drugstore brands or products you recommend? Any "holy grail" products, drugstore or otherwise? Let me know in the comments below!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe