Travel Post: Visiting Seattle, Washington

10:20 PM


This past weekend, I visited Seattle, Washington with my boyfriend and good friend Peter. We were lucky enough to have friends who live there and were kind enough to show us around everywhere.

To my pleasant surprise, I really liked Seattle. Not only was the weather pleasant when we visited (the sun showed itself on Saturday afternoon and only slight drizzle on Sunday), but I found the city to be very interesting. Also, unlike San Francisco, the city was clean and didn't reek of urine! The food was delicious, reasonably priced, and (again, unlike San Francisco), it was not as crowded. This meant less time waiting in lines and more time eating and exploring!

I wanted to highlight some of the great places I ate and visited while in Seattle. Click to read more about where I ate -

We landed Friday night, and our friends Paulina and Phil took us to Capitol Hill to eat. Capitol Hill is a very lively area with bars, restaurants, and most importantly, fish frys. Yes, fish frys! It is an actual option to eat deep fried fish as drunk food in Seattle! I was tempted to get drunk just to be able to consume fried fish at 2 am.

We ate at a pub called Quinn's, which served New American fare.

1001 E Pike St
Seattle, WA 98122

Foie gras fries at Quinn's

Bone marrow at Quinn's
The following morning, we ate at Toulouse Petit for brunch. Toulouse Petit served cajun/creole brunch food.


601 Queen Anne Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109


Crawfish beignets - extremely crispy on the outside, soft and juicy on the inside

Black cod over grits. The fish was tender and flavorful, and the grits were every bit as wonderful as I hoped they would be.

Creole, crawfish, and sausage served over creamy corn grits. The seafood was fresh and cooked perfectly.

Source: Wikipedia
After brunch, we trekked our way over to Pike Place Market. Pike Place Market is a marketplace filled with many different types of food. It's very enjoyable to walk around and to take in the sights. I ate at Ellenos, a life-changing greek yogurt stand.

Corner Market
1500 Pike Pl
SeattleWA 98101


BEST greek yogurt I have ever had. This is no Chobani's! It's light, fluffy, and everything greek yogurt should be. I really could eat this all day. I ordered the caramel pie flavor. Pictured is a small size.

Then later that day for dinner, my boyfriend and I ate what was easily my best meal in Seattle - Shiro's.

For those of you who do not know who Shiro is, he is an apprentice of the famed Jiro from Jiro Dreams of Sushi. I very much recommend everyone to watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi, which is available from Netflix. It is a great documentary about a man who is truly passionate about what he does for a living, and it also gives great insight into the art of making sushi. It even made me cry because I wish I was as passionate about something as Jiro is about making sushi!

I knew I had to try Shiro's while I was in Seattle. Even though Shiro supposedly left his restaurant last year, it was easily the best sushi experience I have ever had in my life. My boyfriend and I both ordered omakase, which means that the sushi chef will present pieces of sushi's of his/her choice. Generally the series of sushi will go from lightest fare to the heavier, richer pieces.

I was slightly disappointed that we didn't line up early enough to sit at the actual sushi bar (it only sits 11 people), but that only means I will have to visit Shiro's/Seattle again!

Shiro's omakase costs $75 for 17 pieces, (around $100 per person after tax + tip) which I felt was worth every single penny. Let me just say that every single piece melts in your mouth like butter. I never had such delicious sushi in my life. I kid you not, my boyfriend and I were extremely tempted to eat it again the following day. We decided that dropping $200 on the same meal twice might be a bit frivolous.

2401 2nd Ave
SeattleWA 98121


Waiting in line for Shiro's to open. We arrived 30 minutes before it opened on a Saturday, and were the 14th and 15th people in line.



I LOVE TUNA. I lovelovelove tuna. 





We ate pastries and baked goods from a French bakery the following morning. The food was so delicious, it reminded me of pastries I ordered while abroad in France!

1435 E John St
Ste 137
Seattle, WA 98112

Daily special - mushrooms, goat cheese, and arugula. The crust was buttery and flakey, complementing the savory flavors well

Croque Monsieur! This ham and cheese sandwich was delicious, tasted very much like the ones I had in France.

After lunch, we visited Chihuly Garden and Glass, which is a museum showcasing the studio glass of Dale Chihuly. The entrance fee is $20 for adults, but if purchased with tickets to the Seattle Space Needle, both tickets are discounted ($36 as of March 2015).

I cannot express just how cool the Chihuly Garden and Glass is! All of the art inside is awe-inspiring and took my breath away. It's amazing how glass can be molded and shaped into such aesthetically appealing forms.









We opted not to go up the Space Needle, because as my boyfriend says, "you've seen [the top of cities], you've seen them all." I have to agree - I've been up Taipei 101, Chicago Skydeck, views of San Francisco from up top, and they all look very similar. The only view I absolutely love is the view from the Top of the Rock; I love how a massive Central Park is smack dab in the middle of skyscrapers and concrete.

We also paid a visit to the Fremont Troll.

Our last meal in Seattle was at Sweet Iron. We ate it for breakfast the morning before we flew back to California. The waffles were easily some of the best I have ever eaten, with a crispy exterior and buttery, doughy interior.
1200 3rd Ave
Ste 110
Seattle, WA 98101

Boyfriend's breakfast: Turkey, bacon, and cheese on a belgian waffle

My breakfast: Brulee'd bananas on a belgian waffle
At the airport, we had another snack at Anthony's Fish Bar inside the SEATAC airport.

Mahi mahi taco with fish. This was very good for airport food.
The last thing I wanted to mention was Seattle's coffee. I actually did not take any pictures of coffee, but Seattle's coffee is hands down the best coffee I have ever had. I drank 3 cups of coffee a day just so I could try coffee drinks from different places. And the best part is that they are typically mom and pop shops, not corporate monsters like Starbucks (though ironically, the first Starbucks is located in Seattle). 

Seattle is a wonderful place to visit, with it's many food options, great places to sightsee, and cleanliness. I highly recommend visiting to anyone and everyone.

Have you been to Seattle? What's your favorite part about the city?

-Mina

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe