Recipe: DIY Cookie Butter Buddies

3:05 PM


I'll admit it. I'm a lazy cook. I find it difficult to summon the desire to buy select ingredients at the store, and then spend a copious amount of time into making a meal. I'm fine with a quick salad or greek yogurt with granola and fruit as a meal. 


But for some reason, when I read through the many recipes on Trader Joe's website, the urge to rush to my local TJ's in order to make one of these meals comes over me. Maybe it's because the recipes are so simple and not at all intimidating. Or maybe it's because I know that I can find all the ingredients under one roof. Whatever the case, I decided to make TJ's Cookie Butter Buddies on this wonderful Sunday afternoon.

These Cookie Butter Buddies were extremely easy to make, and not too time consuming at all! For the most part, I followed TJ's recipe closely with a few adaptations. Please find my adapted version below.



Cookie Butter Buddies

  • 1 cup TJ's Speculoos Crunchy Cookie Butter
  • 1/4 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
  • 1 package TJ's Mini Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups (You probably could use Reese's Peanut Butter Cups as well)
  • 1 box Puffins Cereal 
  • 1-2 cups Organic Powdered Sugar



    Steps
    1. In a microwave safe container (I chose a large glass container), heat cookie butter, milk chocolate peanut butter cups and butter for 30 seconds. Stir. 



    Mmmm...large chunk of (I Can't Believe It's Not) butter...

    Cookie Butter goodness!
    I wanted to eat this by the spoonful instead of throwing it into the bowl.
    Make sure to put on a plastic covering to protect messes in your microwave!


    2. Continue to microwave and stir in 30 second intervals until sauce is fully melted. I microwaved about 2-3 times before the mixture was smooth and free of bumps.
    Look at that ooey gooey mixture!


    This smelled heavenly.

    3. Pour Puffins in a large bowl and add sauce over the top, gently folding the mixture until the cereal is well coated.

    This was the hardest part of the recipe. The mixture was not melted or fluid enough for the cereal to fold easily into it. I recommend adding an additional spoonful of butter to the mixture and microwaving it for another 30 seconds before pouring over your cereal.





    4. Pour the cereal into a resealable food storage plastic bag with the powdered sugar and shake it like a polaroid picture! You may need to portion out the cereal to shake in the bag like I did. 

    Make sure you seal the bag completely! I didn't close it all the one one time and some cereal flew out. Oops. :)
    5. Spread cereal on a cookie sheet to dry. (You may want to toss cereal with more powdered sugar after it cools, but I didn't feel I needed to).
    Voila! Your masterpiece is done.


    6. Enjoy! Store in a closed container in the refrigerator.

    I very much enjoyed making these snacks (it didn't hurt that I was sneaking in "taste tests" throughout the making ;). The Cookie Butter Buddies turned out delicious and will make a great party dish/dessert/snack anytime! If you're a fan of peanut butter or cookie butter, I highly recommend trying out this recipe. For your own added twist, you can also toss in some nuts or candy to make it more festive!

    -Mina

    Thank you, Trader Joe's, for providing the recipe!


    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments

    Subscribe